O how could I forget! I used to read these for amusement – never in my life did I think I would one day end up a PFY.
Bastard Operator From Hell – stories of a System Admin.
I highly recommend the original stories by Simon Travaglia.
- Bastard Operator from Hell 1-4
- Bastard Operator from Hell 5-8
- Bastard Operator from Hell 9-13
- Bastard Operator from Hell 14-15
- Bastard System Manager from Hell 1-2
- Bastard Operator from Britain 1-2
- More BOFH Stories
- The Revised, King James Prehistory of B.O.F.H
- BOFH 2001 FAQ
The Register also has some more recent stories, which I don’t find quite as amusing. Wikipedia’s page on BOFH has information (as it should) and some links at the bottom where you can find more stuff.
Think Dilbert, except much more malicious, and where the Sys Admin is cast in the position of dark anti-hero (like Batman!) rather than sad abused technical employee.
Though I don’t think I’ll ever stoop as low as the desktop-testicle-slamming phase. Sys admins in the odl days were really mean.
It’s sad. The rest of my MCSE course is drooling over Sitex hardware brochures. Hardware heads.